First you need to go to the AHPRA website (Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency).
They have an excellent flow chart that you can use for a self-assessment to see if you are eligible to practice medicine in Australia.
AHPRA is like their MMC. You need a license to practice.
There are 3 sorts of registrations.
- Limited registration – only practice in the designated area with supervision. i.e Hospital A or Clinic B only
- Provisional registration – practice with supervision (interns from Australian medical universities would be given this or those who have completed AMC part 1 and 2 but yet to finish their compulsory postings)
- General registration – you can practice anywhere in Australia
You must either have a basic medical degree that is recognised by AHPRA or complete the AMC examinations.
Thus far, only Monash Medical University is the only medical school in Malaysia that is recognised in Australia. If you are a Monash graduate, you need to show proof that you have indeed finished your housemanship in Malaysia. You can ask your admin in hospital to provide you a written letter stating that you’ve successfully finished your housemanship. You can apply for a provisional registration, look for a job and complete the compulsory postings (more on that later).
For the rest, you have to sit for the AMC exams.
The next thing you have to do if you do not have a Monash Medical degree, is to visit the Australian Medical Council (AMC) website.
Before you can apply for the exams, they would need to verify that your credentials are legit.
Your medical school needs to be recognised by the WHO (don’t worry almost all Malaysian medical schools are)
To verify your credentials, you have to apply for this account
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) Electronic Portfolio of International Credentials (EPIC)
In a nutshell, these guys will make sure that you are really you. It is accepted as a verification tool in most developed countries. Even if you want to go to USA you would need this. You need to prepare your documents because they will ask for it. For more details refer to their website. I have listed their current fees below
To create and account and confirm your identity USD 125
Verification of your credentials USD 90
You’ve got your EPIC account? Good, now the next step is to apply for your AMC exams.
To do so you need to apply for an AMC portfolio in order to sit for the exams. This portfolio would keep track on your personal details, professional qualifications, exams you are taking or have taken. Don’t worry. No one but you can see this. It is a fairly straightforward process and should not give you too much trouble.
Now in the next entry I will tell you more about the AMC exams.
- AHPRA – check if your medical degree is recognised or not
- AMC – read the overview of assessment pathways
- EPIC – apply to get your credentials verified
- AMC portfolio
- Start preparing for AMC exams